Siddhant Goel wrote:
> Hi!
> Thanks for such a detailed explanation of the task involved. It surely
> did help in creating a solid base. I have already started working on it.
> I have also prepared the following proposal for GSoC -
> http://siddhantgoel.googlepages.com/gsoc_gnu.pdf
> It would be great if you could check it and tell me what all I need to
> edit/remove/add in it, to make it better.

Alright, here are some of my thoughts.

The abstract, in describing what it is you wish to build, includes a
length quote from the wiki's description, describing what sorts of
things could go in it, but not particularly what it is or how it is
useful. I'd focus on those rather than the list you have; particularly
since they describe a number of things you don't plan to implement in
this version

The How/Deliverables section is awfully vague, which is a problem
because this is the section we'd want to be specific enough to determine
whether you're on-target at your midterm and final evaluations. Talking
about creating a structure for an "entry", and functions to create new
entries or write them to files, provides virtually no information about
what facilities you're actually trying to build. It's also not at all
clear to me what difference you intend for sidb.c versus sidb_functions.c.

Similarly, in the Timeline section, you have:

- - Upto May 26 : Get more comfortable with the source code, discussthings
out with mentor, and agree with him on the exact code to be written.
Happy mentor, happy student, nice code. :)
- - Start!
- - May 26 - Jun 15 : Finish the sidb.h and sidb_functions.c parts
- - Jun 15 - July 5 : Write sidb.c
- - July 5 - August 1 : Interface sidb.c with the rest of the Wget
source code
- - August 1 - August 15 : Check code, fix bugs, improve documentation
- - Finish!

This, too, says virtually nothing. Heck, I could hack up a sidb.h,
sidb_functions.c and sidb.c in about 30 seconds; they wouldn't _do_
anything, but then, there isn't really a clear idea what they _should_
do, from your proposal. Rather than talk about .h files and .c files,
and "entry" structures, which are implementation details, you should try
to focus on what your work will have actually accomplished by those
dates. Useful milestones might be:

 - Basic session info writing implemented (starts and ends of downloads,
redirects and local filenames recorded).
 - Basic session info reading implemented (small program reads back
data, maps URIs to local paths, adhering to execution time constraints
as outlined in spec).
 - Wget writes session databases (configurable via command-line
options), and is able to read them back in to determine what filenames
to check for timestamping or --continue.
 - Wget is able to continue aborted sessions using configuration and
last-known state from a session info db file.

Programmer, musician, typesetting enthusiast, gamer,
and GNU Wget Project Maintainer.