Don't cc me on mailing list posts, please.  I don't need two copies.

Drazen Kacar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I think developers tend to use libtool because they would very much
> like to believe that it solves linking problems.

And they believe that because in almost all cases, it's true.

> In my experience it just takes control from the user

What control does it take away?

> and offers nothing in return.

Nothing??  Sorry, but that's pretty massive hyperbole.

> Just for fun, here are the results of libtoolized wget on Solaris:
>
> CC=gcc ./configure --with-ssl
> [no errors]
> make
> src/wget --version
> ld.so.1: src/wget: fatal: libcrypto.so.0: open failed: No such file or directory
> zsh: killed     src/wget --version
>
> CC=cc ./configure --with-ssl
> WARNING: Failed to link with OpenSSL libraries in /usr/local/ssl/lib.
>          Wget will be built without support for https://... URLs.
> make
> src/wget --version
> GNU Wget 1.7-dev
> [snip]
>
> The whole screw-up happens because SSL libraries are in /usr/local/lib.
> Pretty standard place, don't you think?

Yup.  It's not the default for OpenSSL, though.  It installs in
/usr/local/ssl/lib by default.  As `configure --help' tells you:

  --with-ssl[=SSL_ROOT]   link with libssl [in SSL_ROOT/lib] for https: support

all you had to do was `configure --with-ssl=/usr/local' to get everything to
work.

It would be very easy to modify configure to try a couple more directories
for SSL_ROOT besides the default /usr/local/ssl.  In fact, I was expecting
to add automatic checks for /usr/local and /usr in my second pass at this.

> But, if you're going to use libtool, could you tell me which procedure to
> follow to have wget linked in a way which I currently use? That is:
>
> dump -Lv /usr/local/bin/wget | head -13
>
> /usr/local/bin/wget:
>
>   **** DYNAMIC SECTION INFORMATION ****
>   .dynamic:
>   [INDEX] Tag         Value
>   [1]     NEEDED      libsocket.so.1
>   [2]     NEEDED      libnsl.so.1
>   [3]     NEEDED      libgnuintl.so.1
>   [4]     NEEDED      libc.so.1
>   [5]     INIT        0x2b078
>   [6]     FINI        0x2b0c8
>   [7]     RPATH       $ORIGIN/../lib

Sure, just use whatever custom LDFLAGS you would have used without libtool
in the picture.  It will respect and use them.  As I said, no control has
been taken away.  It's just that the average user no longer needs to be a
shared library expert, as you apparently are.

Dan Harkless            | To help prevent SPAM contamination,
GNU Wget co-maintainer  | please do not mention this email
http://sunsite.dk/wget/ | address in Usenet posts -- thank you.