Jan and I made some changes to FTP code to fix several long-standing
bugs with recursive retrieval and CWD.  I tested it with Unix FTP
servers, but the VMS part might be broken.

Could someone with access to a VMS FTP server please try to compile
the latest CVS sources and see if recursive retrieval works?  You
don't need to DL gigabytes of data; you just need to see whether Wget
issues the correct CWD commands to the server.

The interesting cases are:

# download everything under the anonymous tree.
wget -r ftp://HOST/

# download everything under <anonumous-root>/DIR.
wget -r ftp://HOST/DIR/

# download everything under USER's home directory.
wget -r ftp://USER:PASSWORD@HOST/

# download everything under ~USER/DIR.
wget -r ftp://USER:PASSWORD@HOST/DIR/

# the same, but specified in a different way.
wget -r ftp://USER:PASSWORD@HOST//path/to/users/home/DIR/

# (attempt to) download the whole Unix system directory tree
wget -r ftp://USER:PASSWORD@HOST//

Needless to say, not all of these need be present.  In fact, your
report will be interesting even with only one of them.  The above is
just a list of different setups that exhibited problems at some point.
(The above all work for me with Unix FTP servers.)

If the test case doesn't work (e.g. Wget CWD's into an obviously wrong
directory), please send the `-d' output along with the report.