Paul Eggert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> * A command like "wget -rl1 'ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/' -A'tz*.tar.gz'"
>   is less natural than "wget 'ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/tz*.tar.gz'".

Yes.  I feel that the Right Thing would be for Wget to DWIM and
translate the glob pattern into a -A form when required.  I might
attempt to implement something like that for the next release, but I'm
not sure if that can work in the general case -- merging the glob with
a bunch of existing -R/-A options might be non-trivial.

> Sorry, I don't understand this point.  I thought that (in principle,
> at least) wget should interpret file name globbing consistently,
> regardless of whether it is using a proxy.

It's true that this should be the case, but that's not the current
situation.  Currently if you want to retrieve a '*' file from FTP, you
have to use '\*', whereas on HTTP '*' will suffice and '\*' will
retrieve literal '\*'.  I will try to consolidate all this for the
next release.

> (Please understand that I am not complaining -- I'm just trying to
>  help wget get better.)

Don't worry, I'm taking your comments in good spirit!