Karl Eichwalder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Would be okay with me.  Just increase the version number (reserve the
> first 3 numbers for programming realated issue and the 4th number for
> translations):
>
>     1.7         The "normal" forthcoming release.
>
> Then
>
>     1.7.0.1     Only translations added

This is what I call "additional burden to the maintainer."  He has to
roll out another full release, announce it, etc., only because of the
translations.

Consing up a translation tarball is a considerably simpler operation.
Much smaller possibility of making a mistake.

> Might be part of the problem.  programmers just get familiar with "how
> it works"; maybe, they are not fond of the idea to maintain additional
> tar files.

Of course, every programmer will have to decide for himself.  I know
what I would choose.  However, in an ideal world, the programmers
wouldn't have to do that at all -- the translations could simply be
handled by the translation project.

> > Compare that to the current situation where all of Wget's
> > translations except the Croatian one are *guaranteed* to be
> > incomplete!
>
> Not necessarily.  Interested parties can have a look at
> www.iro.umontreal.ca and fetch updated files.

And they will find -- what?  The new `wget.pot' out of CVS sources?
`wget.pot' from a later release?

I wonder if the Translation Project can even handle multiple versions
of wget.pot simultaneously.

> Hope this helps for the moment.

It doesn't really.  The files I get through the Translation Project
are more a burden than a help for me.  They always come too late and I
don't know what to do with them.

I'm seriously considering completely abandoning the TP and rolling out
my own method of updating Wget's PO files.  (Of course, the
translation teams would still be more than welcome to cooperate.)  If
I understand things correctly, that is precisely what the GNOME
project has done, along with many others, for very similar reasons.