[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> It's not just a memory leak. Length <= 0 is declared as a "can't
> happen".  If length is zero, wget will suddenly end due to the
> assert.  If a bad input file can lead to length being zero, then
> using assert is bad on principle. One should never assert external
> input.

For the record, I agree with all you said here.  The assert was not
meant to guard against external input.

As I said in the previous message, I now see a way for LENGTH to be
zero, so I will remove the assert.  Before I do that, I'd like to
understand what problem Daniel was trying to fix, just in case I
missed something.