-

Everyone,

In all this discussion, I stay aware of the big picture, which is that WGet is a great
program that helps me in my work.

I completely accept whatever you decide. The issue is a very minor problem for me, but
I can easily re-write an existing filter to strip control-Zs. The problem is due only
to a stupid shortcoming in DOS. I use a DOS editor because it has some necessary
features that don't exist yet (!) in any GUI editor, either for Windows or Unix.

Philosophically, however, I think there is still something to be said. The issue
centers, not on the behavior of the program, which can easily be explained.

The issue centers on the documentation. Philosophically, in my opinion, a program
should be written so the documentation is easy to read. In this case a hidden
stripping of useless characters means that there is one less thing to explain in the
manual.

If the program does not strip Control-Zs, and I were helping with the documentation, I
would feel compelled to explain about the possibility for an error message that
doesn't actually affect WGet operation. I would hope that the explanation would save
someone a few moments of confusion.

There is precedent for this. Microsoft Windows is in some places written to get around
shortcomings in the processors on which it runs. Such accommodation puts quirkiness in
the code, but it gets the job done.

Regards,

Michael