Ian Abbott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm not sure where the ChangeLog entry goes.  Is it src/ChangeLog

src/ChangeLog on the branch, that for sure.

> or src/ChangeLog-branches/1.8.2_branch.ChangeLog, or even
> src/ChangeLog-branches/1.8_branch.ChangeLog?

Good question.  Two points:

* I screwed up when I named the branch.  It should have been
  `branch-1_8', not `branch-1_8_2'.  (A `branch-1_8_2' would be
  created for 1.8.2.1, 1.8.2.2, etc. while 1.8.3 was being prepared.)
  Hence the name `1.8_branch.ChangeLog' should be used.

* If I understood Dan correctly, we only need to worry about
  ChangeLog-branches *after* a branched release.  In this case, it
  means that, when 1.8.2 is released, we will copy its entire
  ChangeLog to 1.8_branch.ChangeLog.  A 1.8.3 ChangeLog would be
  copied to the same file, but no contents would be lost because the
  1.8.3 automatically contains all the information in the 1.8.2
  ChangeLog.

* All this is explained in `ChangeLog.README' at top-level of the
  distribution.  Please let me know whether you reach the same
  conclusions after reading it.

I don't completely understand why Dan wanted the history of all the
branches to be visible in each release, but I want to keep his wish,
because he was fairly insistent, because I agreed to it, and because
it is not hard to do so.  (It only requires work at release-time.)

To summarize: all you need to do is prepend the ChangeLog entries to
`src/ChangeLog' (of that branch), as always.  I'll take care of the
rest after the release.