Henrik van Ginhoven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> problem, I agree. On large networks some evil-minded person could
> write a tiny cron-script that ran once every 5 minutes or so to
> parse ps-output looking for nothing but passwords,

Note that the standard workaround for this problem, which is now even
documented in the manual, is to use the `-i -' option.  For example:

wget -i -
http://user:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/directory/file
^D

But I agree that's just a workaround.  I'm now more open to the idea
of introducing a prompting feature.  The worst case scenario is that
any page whatsoever can stop recursion by sending a WWW-Authenticate
header and causing Wget to prompt, long after the user has left the
keyboard, confident that the download is in progress.

>> wget shows username:*password* in its output, is this supposed to
>> make us think the program is protecting that password from prying
>> eyes in some way?
>
> Yes, as you know it's not perfect but it would be quite silly to
> actually print the password and the username on the screen don't you
> agree? I don't think anyone ever thought of it as a way to make you
> believe the password is well protected..

Exactly.