Thomas Lussnig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>For example, it's wrong to call it "input" stream if it also allows
>>writing.  Second, if we allow read and write, we should also think
>>about operations such as seek and rewind.  Thirdly, we should think
>>about peeking, buffered reads, etc.  Also, do we allow inheritance or
>>chaining of streams?
>>
> 1. I think Inheritance could only be realy done if we go an step more
>    an switch to C++

Not necessarily.  There are a lot of systems that do inheritance in C,
the question is only whether Wget needs it.  Probably not.

A typical "inheritance" example would be "buffered streams", which
support all streams operations, plus buffered reads.  This way
buffering can be implemented separately from the underlying protocol.
But I agree that buffering can be implemented differently as well.

> 3. Since i thought of typical Internet Protocol's there was no need
>    for SEEK/REWIND but can be added

So did I, but if we also allow files...?

> I think there should be an split between network/disk because
> seek/size etc.. is only available on one of them
>
> And an "buffer" function that only relay on read/write and offer than
> buffered acces to both types.

OK.