Ryan Underwood wrote:

> It seems that some servers are broken and in order to fetch files with
certain
> filenames, some characters that are normally encoded in HTTP sequences
must
> be sent through unencoded.  For example, I had a server the other day that
> I was fetching files from at the URL:
> http://server.com/~foobar/files

I'm having a hard time figuring out why wget is encoding the tilde in the
first place. They way I read RFC 2396, tilde is one of several "marks" that
are not encoded. The complete set of marks defined in RFC 2396 is

Perhaps the encoding rules in wget were written prior to the publication of
RFC 2396 and are based on the "national character" discussion of RFC 1630.
If so, tilde is the only character that was defined as "national" in RFC
1630 and as a "mark" in RFC 2396.

For what it's worth, the "national" characters in RFC 1630 are "{}|[]\^~".

Tony