"Ilya N. Golubev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Duplicating my <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> sent on Wed, 10 Sep 2003
> 19:48:56 +0400 since mailer reports that <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> does not
> work.
>
> wget -mLd http://www.hro.org/docs/rlex/uk/index.htm
>
> does not follow `<A HREF="uk1.htm#1">' links contained in the
> resource.

That's because Wget thinks those links are part of a huge comment that
spans the better part of the document.  Unlike most browsers, Wget
implements a (too) strict comment parsing, which breaks pages that use
non-SGML-compliant comments.

As http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/wilbur/misc/comment.html explains:

    [...] There is also the problem with the "--" sequence. Some
    people have a habit of using things like "<!-------------->" as
    separators in their source. Unfortunately, in most cases, the
    number of "-" characters is not a multiple of four. This means
    that a browser who tries to get it right will actually get it
    wrong here and actually hide the rest of the document.

Currently the only workaround is to alter the source, e.g. by
modifying advance_declaration() in html-parse.c.  A future version of
Wget will probably parse comments in a non-compliant fashion, by
considering everything between <!-- and --> to be a comment, which is
what most other browsers have been doing since the beginnings of the
web.