"Josy P. Pullockara" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I use "GNU Wget 1.8.2" for downloading and "Galeon 1.3.8" for web
> browsing on "Mandrake 9.2".
>
> We have 10Mbps line via an http proxy and I used to use wget for robust
> and fast downloading of huge files from ftp sites at almost 150 K/s.
>
> Now I find wget extremely slow. Transfer rates of "10 B/s" when Galeon
> is able to download the same file from the same ftp site at "40
> K/s".

This is atypical.  Normally Wget is as fast, or slightly faster, than
GUI browsers.

> I do not have any custom .wgetrc file. I have used only the default
> settings, except for setting up the http_proxy and ftp_proxy
> environment variables.
>
> How do I troubleshoot this?

Please check that Galeon is using the same proxy that you are using.
If you understand Unix system calls, you can also use `strace'
(`truss') to check that Wget is doing what you think is doing.

Also check /usr/local/etc/wgetrc and /etc/wgetrc to see if the sneaky
sysadmin has perhaps installed a bandwidth limitation from under you.