Yeah, you're both right.  While we're at it, why don't we just round off the
value of pi to be 3.0.  Those pesky trailing decimals are just an accident
of history anyway.

-----Original Message-----
From: Carlos Villegas [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2004 8:22 PM
To: Tony Lewis
Cc: wget@sunsite.dk
Subject: Re: Metric units

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 12:57:18PM -0800, Tony Lewis wrote:
> John J Foerch wrote:
>
> > It seems that the system of using the metric prefixes for numbers
> > 2^n is a simple accident of history.  Any thoughts on this?
>
> I would say that the practice of using powers of 10 for K and M is a
> response to people who cannot think in binary.

I would say that the original poster understands what he is saying, and you
clearly don't...

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

kilo, mega, giga, tera and many others are standard in SI and widely used in
physics, chemistry, engineering by their real meaning (powers of 10). The
hole powers of 2 thing is just because 1024 is close to 1000 and computers
work in binary, so is logical to think in powers of 2 (so yes, a mere
accident of 20th century history).

Carlos