Simone Piunno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Tuesday 22 February 2005 00:10, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:
>
>> If wide chars were in that message, you could no longer print it with
>> printf, which means that a majority of gettext-using programs would be
>> utterly broken, Wget included.  I imagine I would have gotten a bunch
>> of bug reports for that kind of thing in the 7 or so years that Wget
>> has been using gettext.
>
> I have an interesting tale to tell.

Your tale depicts a somewhat different scenario -- you switched to
UTF-8 and things broke.  This should not happen because UTF-8 was
specifically designed to be mixable with ASCII and thus meet the needs
of (among others) Wget.  That is quite different from switching to an
ASCII-incompatible locale.

> So what I wanted to say is that your point of view is OK, cause as
> long as nobody complains you can *pretend* the problem is not there,

If printf and strlen no longer work, it is IMO not Wget that has a
problem, but the environment.  You could say that it is Wget's problem
that it doesn't adapt to a strange environment, but there is only so
much one can do -- I've rejected EBCDIC patches too.

To the best of my knowledge, Wget works fine in ASCII-compatible
environments, which includes UTF-8.  The only breakage is a
theoretical one in environments where 99% of applications would break
too.  I don't speak for Mauro, but I can live with that.