On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Herold Heiko wrote:

> >  Huh?  It's you who should actually charge them for doing bug
> > discovery for them.
>
> Yeah. Only please understand - I'm not a C programmer. I'm not an expert in
> Microsoft interaction (the fewer the better). I just have (legal!) access to
> a Visual Studio kit and use it, anything more in-depth unfortunately would
> require familiarizing far more with C in general and VS in particular than I
> have time available :(

 Well, with an ICE (internal compiler error), you've clearly found a
compiler bug, no matter what you have passed to it.  A compiler should
accept anything (including /dev/random, speaking in *nix terms) and either
accept it if valid input or reject it with a reasonable explanation (a
parse error at worst).  So if you just told them you you had received an
ICE and dumped your preprocessed source causing the problem, they should
be just happy about being able to fix yet another bug.  You don't have to
be a C programmer to do that.

 That's what I'd expect from a reasonable compiler vendor (or any
software, actually).

> On the other hand I started compiling these binaries because I can and there
> seemed to be nobody else doing it and I feel it would be a shame dropping
> this compatibility exactly as it would be a shame dropping support for, say
> Ultrix. Just my (minimal) bit of support for a great tool - I do what I can
> but I won't become VSC proficient, time is never enough, family (and work)
> has precedence, I just can't afford it (although I'd really like to).

 Well, if you find your work useful and appreciated and you are satisfied
with that, then by all means do continue it.  It's just personally I
wouldn't be so enthusiastic about working with a product that its vendor
refuses to support.

 BTW, actually GCC dropped Ultrix support a while ago due to no interest
and binutils support is about to go away, too.  OTOH, you can still use
older versions and for software like wget it doesn't really matter as long
as you have a compiler toolchain available.

  Maciej