Jens Schleusener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The reason for the above error is as already written - at least in
> my case using the self compiled libtool version 1.5

I don't think the libtool version used on the system makes any
difference (except for a developer at the point of "libtoolizing" his
program), since Wget uses the libtool code from the release tarball.

> - that the
> configure script tests for the non-existing "conftest.o" instead for
> the generated and existing ".libs/conftest.o".

You are right, but I don't understand why it doesn't happen for me.

> The above line
>
>   configure:25756: /bin/sh ./libtool gcc -c  -O2 -Wall -Wno-implicit
>   -I/usr/local/contrib/include  conftest.c >&5
>   gcc -c -O2 -Wall -Wno-implicit -I/usr/local/contrib/include conftest.c
>   -DPIC -o .libs/conftest.o
>
> looks for me (as a "configure"-layman) a little bit strange (gcc
> twice?).

GCC is only invoked twice.  The first line is configure telling you
the command it is about run.  The second line is libtool telling you
exactly how it is about to run GCC.

For me there is no `-o .libs/conftest.o', even though I use the same
libtool invocation on my system.

> I will try to re-compile current used libtool version 1.5 under AIX
> 5.1 (may be it was built under AIX 4.3) and compile and use the newest
> libtool (version 1.5.18).

Unfortunately I don't think it's going to change anything, as
explained above.  I don't think the people who merely *build* software
are even supposed to have to have libtool installed in the first
place.