I don't think that's valid HTML. According to RFC 1866: An HTML user agent should treat end of line in any of its variations as a word space in all contexts except preformatted text.

I don't see any provision for end of line within the HREF attribute of an A tag.

Tony

From: HUAZHANG GUO [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 7:48 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: I got one bug on Mac OS X

Dear Sir/Madam,

while I was trying to download using the command:

wget -k -np -r -l inf -E http://dasher.wustl.edu/bio5476/

I got most of the files, but lost some of them.

I think I know where the problem is:

if the link is broken into two lines in the index.html:

<P>Lecture 1 (Jan 17): Exploring Conformational Space for Biomolecules
<A HREF=""http://dasher.wustl.edu/bio5476/lectures">http://dasher.wustl.edu/bio5476/lectures
/lecture-01.pdf">[PDF]</A></P>

I will get the following error message:

=> `/Users/hguo/mywww//dasher.wustl.edu/bio5476/lectures%0A/lecture-01.pdf'
Connecting to dasher.wustl.edu[128.252.208.48]:80... connected.
09:13:16 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Please note that wget adds a special charactor '%0A' in the URL. Maybe the Windows new line have one more charactor which is not recoganized by Mac wget.

I am using Mac OS X, Tigger Darwin.

Thanks!