Micah Cowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Someone just asked on the #wget IRC channel if there was a way to
> exclude files with certain names, and I recommended -X, without
> realizing that that option excludes directories, not files.
>
> My question is: why do we allow users to exclude directories, but
> not files?

-R allows excluding files.  If you use a wildcard character in -R, it
will treat it as a pattern and match it against the entire file name.
If not, it will treat it as a suffix (not really an extension, it
doesn't care about "." being there or not).  -X always excludes
directories and allows wildcards.

It was supposed to be a DWIM thing.