"Tony Godshall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> My point remains that the maximum initial rate (however you define
>> "initial" in a protocol as unreliable as TCP/IP) can and will be
>> wrong in a large number of cases, especially on shared connections.
>
> Again, would an algorithm where the rate is re-measured periodically
> and the initial-rate-error criticism were therefore addressed reduce
> your objection to the patch?

Personally I don't see the value in attempting to find out the
available bandwidth automatically.  It seems too error prone, no
matter how much heuristics you add into it.  --limit-rate works
because reading the data more slowly causes it to (eventually) also be
sent more slowly.  --limit-percentage is impossible to define in
precise terms, there's just too much guessing.