a weekly newsletter fromTechTarget
WhatIsThis Week
May 13, 2002 >> Receive this email as text  >> About this e-mail
 In this Issue

>> Win2000Talk Radio: Better than Captain Midnight?
>> Featured topic from SearchSytemsManagement: 10 Top Expert Responses
>> .NET Info Center: Everything you ever wanted to know about .NET

Win2000 Talk Radio

By Lowell Thing, Editor

Better than Captain Midnight?

Some of you may not remember Captain Midnight, the mysterious pilot who zoomed in over the airwaves every weekday afternoon during the 1940s. An old friend sent me a tape of Captain Midnight episodes a while back and I tried to listen to one while writing a definition for whatis.com, and somehow I found my definition getting suspenseful and dramatic. I was reminded of that last week while listening to my first episode of a more modern-day yet rather homey and chatty radio that we're offering right here on TechTarget.

Called Win2000Talk Radio, it may remind you a little bit of an Arthur Godfrey Show or of Don McNeill's Breakfast Club except that the host is Laura DiDio, a principal in Information Technology Intelligence Corp. (ITIC), a former senior editor at Computerworld and other publications, and an expert on Windows desktop and server systems. Instead of people from Peoria sitting right out there in the radio audience, there is us, users from everywhere, all different except for one thing: we use Windows.

Laura sets the stage with a weekly topic of great interest to professional Windows users, gets a chatty summary of the latest Windows news from reporter Ed Parry, hosts guests who arrive with their various portfolios of expertise, answers questions that users send in, and offers a brief trivia quiz with Dave Gabel. Occasionally, there is an old-fashioned radio commercial to pep things up and I actually enjoyed them on the episode I just listened to.

On Win2000Talk Radio, you don't have to buy any Ovaltine to get the magic Microsoft Windows decoder ring; all the secrets are built into the news, chats, experts, and quizzes in every new episode. And, unlike Captain Midnight, if you had to stay after school and missed an episode, all the past episodes have been archived and you can play them by just pressing a magic hyperlink button. Nor do you have to sit and look at the Web site. After you start the program, you can get back to your regular work while you listen.

By the way, this is not necessarily a pro-Microsoft show. The show's motto is: The Bottom Line...Not the Party Line.

The Web site is http://win2000talk.techtarget.com/

This coming Thursday's live program is about Windows certification.
Visit the Web site to see the list of programs that have been archived as well as those that are coming up.

 Featured Site: SearchSystemsManagement

Featured Topic: 10 Top Expert Responses

SearchSystemsManagement is featuring the ten questions that have had the most readers since January - along with the answers that the site's experts have provided. For example: What is the csrss.exe file for in WinNT? What program should I use to open .dbx files in Outlook Express? If I delete the findfast registry, will that solve my Office startup problem? And so forth.

See the 10 top expert responses

 .NET Info center

Trying to get up to speed on .NET and what it means for you? Visit our .NET Info Center for SearchVB.com's latest .NET news and development tips. Get one-stop access to the most important resources for understanding Visual Studio.Net direct from Microsoft.

Visit the .NET Info center

This e-mail is brought to you by TechTarget where you can get relevant search results from over 19 industry-specific Web sites.

Whatis.com contacts:
Lowell Thing, Site Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Margaret Rouse, Assistant Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

To unsubscribe from Updates on new site content:

>> Simply Reply to this Email with REMOVE within the Body or Subject
-OR-
>> Go to: http://WhatIs.techtarget.com/register/1,,sid9,00.html
   - Log in to edit your profile.
   - Click on the link to Edit email subscriptions.
   - Uncheck the box next to the newsletter you wish to unsubscribe from
   - When finished, click "Save Changes to My Profile".

Copyright 2002 TechTarget, Inc. All rights reserved.