a weekly newsletter fromTechTarget
WhatIsThis Week
July 15, 2002 >> Receive this email as text  >> About this e-mail
 In this Issue

>> What to Take to the Beach
>> Featured topic from SearchDomino: Do Domino and Notes have a future in a Microsoft world?
>> Reader Feedback: Web sites you recommend

  What to Take to the Beach

by Lowell Thing, Editor

For those of our readers in the Northern Hemisphere, it is time to consider what book to take with us to the beach or perhaps mountain cabin. Ordinarily, I like to get as far away as I can from reading about information technology. But then I remember that, viewed in its larger perspective apart from our day-to-day drudgeries, IT is the story of our time and an amazing one, too.

Somehow reading "Where Wizards Stay Up Late," Katie Hafner and Matthew Lyon's book about the origins of the Internet, is like reading about a project we once worked on ourselves that, in this case, exploded slowly and incrementally into a cultural transformation that is, like the universe, still expanding.

William Gibson's classic "Neuromancer" might be another candidate for the beach, if you haven't already read it. I read it myself long after it was famous. It is never too late to read a classic, and, poking into a few pages right now, I see that it is still holding up well. It will seem familiar to you because by now you've seen a dozen movies that have been inspired by it.

If you want to revisit a lot of IT in a dynamic, scopefully entertaining way, I recommend Neal Stephenson's "Cryptonomicon," an adventure where data is treasure and everything you never knew about cryptography is made clear at last. "Cryptonomicon" is a book you can get your teeth into; it's definitely for a two-week vacation.

Speaking of cryptography, right now, I'm reading Simon Singh's "The Code Book," and struggling (but it's fun) with his explanation of how Charles Babbage broke the Vigenere cipher. "Cracking a difficult cipher is akin to climbing a sheer cliff face," writes Singh, which reminds me that I also ought to recommend Jon Krakauer's "Into Thin Air," which has little to do with information technology (yet it does: today men about to die at the top of Mt. Everest can say goodbye from their cell phones and epitaphs can be written on their Web sites).

But in a broader sense, any book is a bit of information technology, don't you agree? And (I see them coming to take me back to my regular job now) before I go, I'll just say that you can't go wrong at the beach with any book by Edward Dahlberg, Loren Eiseley, John McPhee, Edward Hoagland, Iris Murdoch, or Walter Mosley.

We used to have a section of book reviews on whatis. Perhaps we should put them back. Meanwhile, if you have a recommendation, would you post it in our "Talk about IT" forum? If we hear from enough of you, we'll start a separate forum called "Books You Recommend."

And I just remembered a Web site that is listed in "Our latest discovery" page.
It's called "The one-book list." The site is terribly out-of-date, but the reader recommendations on it aren't.

Recommend a book

 Featured Site: SearchDomino

Do Domino and Notes have a future in a Microsoft world? Join us on July 24th at 1 p.m. EDT for a live informational Webcast on the business and political issues surrounding "Domino vs. Exchange." Haven't heard a Webcast yet? You'll be surprised at how this new medium can save you time while putting you in direct and immediate touch with experts. (Free, too.) Put it on your calendar now.

Find out more and pre-register for the Webcast

 Reader Feedback: Web sites you recommend

by Margaret Rouse, Assistant Editor

A couple of weeks ago when we shared Our Latest Discovery with you, we invited you to take some time out and surf the Web. We also asked you to recommend some interesting Web sites for all of us to explore.

We'd like to thank JohnnyBoy for sending us to the Ig Noble Prize home page. For those of you out of the loop, the The Ig Nobel Prizes are given to honor people whose achievements "cannot or should not be reproduced." The Igs, as they are affectionately called, are intended to "celebrate the unusual, honor the imaginative -- and spur people's interest in science, medicine, and technology". FYI, tickets for the 2002 Ig Nobel Prize ceremony will go on sale August 1 at the Harvard University Box Office -- the prizes are physically handed to the winners by a "genuinely bemused genuine Nobel Laureate".

Past winners we liked included:

Chris Niswander of Tucson, Arizona, (Winner, Computer Science category, 2000) for inventing PawSense, a security software that quickly detects and blocks cat typing.

George Goble of Purdue University (Winner, Chemistry category, 1996) who, with a bunch of his engineering friends, set a world record time (three seconds) for igniting a barbeque grill. (They decided to use charcoal and liquid oxygen.)

The Japan Meterological Agency (Winner, Physics category, 1988) for its seven-year study of
whether earthquakes are caused by catfish wiggling their tails.

We invite you to take a few minutes, put your feet up, and browse through the list of past Ig Nobel Prize winners for yourself.

Read about past Ig Nobel Prize Winners

This e-mail is brought to you by TechTarget where you can get relevant search results from over 19 industry-specific Web sites.

Whatis.com contacts:
Lowell Thing, Site Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Margaret Rouse, Assistant Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

To unsubscribe from Updates on new site content:

>> Simply Reply to this Email with REMOVE within the Body or Subject
-OR-
>> Go to: http://WhatIs.techtarget.com/register/1,,sid9,00.html
   - Log in to edit your profile.
   - Click on the link to Edit email subscriptions.
   - Uncheck the box next to the newsletter you wish to unsubscribe from
   - When finished, click "Save Changes to My Profile".

Copyright 2002 TechTarget, Inc. All rights reserved.