WHATIS.COM | Update
 August 14, 2002
THIS WEEK AT WHATIS.COM
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Farewell, Lost Discoveries!
by Lowell Thing, Editor

For several years now, we've been occasionally featuring a brief
review of a Web site we deem to be "Our latest discovery." As our
latest discovery becomes merely a previous discovery, we move our
review of it further down the page. Effectively, the page called "Our
latest discovery" is also the accumulation of all our discoveries,
the unofficial whatis.com list of favorite Web sites. As we've been
adding these discoveries over the past few years, some of them have
found a new business model, gone out of business, changed for other
reasons, or mysteriously disappeared -- partly as the result, it
appears, of the dotcom disaster and partly just because things change
at least as fast on the Web as they do anywhere else.

Yesterday, we went back through the entire list to see how many sites
still held up -- or even existed, for that matter. (We did
occasionally revisit the list, but somehow we hadn't been thorough
about it.) We discovered (and this turns out to be our "latest
discovery") that of the 75 sites listed, ten (10) had to be
"delisted" into what we decided to call "The Archive of Lost
Discoveries." Some of the sites actually result in a "404" (in at
least one case, the domain name is available); others had changed
their purpose in existing; and others perhaps just no longer seemed
worth recommending.

On our new "Our latest discovery" page, we explain what happened; we
also have made some minor updates to our reviews of sites still worth
recommending. Our saddest discovery was that Learn2.com, once one of
the Web's most popular sites for its engaging, yet useful, tutorials,
is no longer with us as we knew it. (A brief pause here to
contemplate its passing.)

On the other hand, 65 of the first 75 sites we discovered are as
recommendable as ever. Also, it may be worth reminding ourselves: The
World Wide Web is young yet. We've entered a new era and there are
more eras yet to come. Meanwhile, we'll keep sharing "Our latest
discovery" with you at:

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci331047,00.html

Featured Site: SearchSystemsManagement

FEATURED TOPIC: Managing storage
Storing data is at the heart of all companies.
SearchSystemsManagement has put together some useful links that
represent the most recent and most effective storage resources to
help systems managers and administrators complete this critical task
easily and efficiently.

>> Learn more about managing storage
http://searchsystemsmanagement.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid20_gci797981,00.html

NETWORKING DECISIONS: Improve your mind in 3 days!
Networking Decisions cuts through the confusion to deliver a
definitive networking blueprint that lets you reap the biggest
networking rewards without breaking the bank. You get in-the-trenches
technical sessions to eliminate today's biggest risks - all FREE!
Networking Decisions guarantees that you go home with field-tested
networking solutions and critical tips and techniques from the
industry's leading independent experts. Period.

>> Learn more about Networking Decisions
http://www.networkingdecisions.com/

Reader Feedback: IT ad campaigns
by Margaret Rouse, Assistant Editor

Last week's mail was pretty darn interesting. We had asked for your
feedback about IT ad campaigns, but were amiss in not taking our
international audience into consideration.

We'd like to thank the reader who took time to write in and bring
this to our attention. He wrote:

"I don't understand any of this. But then the fact that these
campaigns only run in the USA might explain it. I have no idea what
percentage of Whatis readership is outside the US but you might
consider it when doing 'culture based' stories."

Point taken -- and thanks!

As long as we brought the subject of IT ad campaigns up, though, we
might as well let you know that at least one IT ad campaign that's
running right now in the U.S. is hitting a nerve.

It's Apple's new "switch" campaign. According to Steve Jobs, Apple's
CEO, "These commercials profile real people who have switched from
PCs to Macs, telling their story in their own words. More people are
interested in switching from PCs to Macs than ever before, and we
hope that hearing these successful switchers tell their story will
help others make the jump."

One of the commercials in the series features a man who waxes poetic
about his new iMac computer and at the end of the commercial, he
introduces himself as a Microsoft network administrator.

I don't know whether Steve Jobs is right in thinking that this
person's story will help others make the jump, but I did get the
impression that it made some people "jumping mad".

A reader whose discussion handle is "emm386" wrote to say:

"I wish Uncle Bill would make a spin-off of that ad where the same
[LAN admistrator] tries to get his iMac to be compatible with new
software and hardware. If it was not for Mr. Gates and the Windows OS
where would we be today? The world would be a very different place
and our jobs would be very different. I'm also an LAN Admin, MCSE
40/W2K. [How could] someone who feeds his kids and puts a roof over
their heads managing a WIN LAN make a commercial for the other guys?

"SillyMe" agreed:

"I would send that IMAC loving NT LAN administrator to the world of
the gainfully employed IMAC LAN administrators. Home networking
anybody?"

"BoogieDaddy" politely disagreed:

"I am a LAN Admin (and a W2k MCSA/MCSE) who works with NT4.0, W2K,
Unix, (and Mac) systems all day. But when I go home, I have a 733MHz
G4, on a home LAN, shared by two PC's that are used by the rest of
the family. On both networks the Mac's and PC's work quite well
together. I get paid to do Windows, but Mac's are suppose to be FUN!
(and they are...)"

As always, the discussion remains open.

See you in the forum!
http://whatis.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]@.1dcfb0f7!viewtype=&skip=&expand=

This e-mail is brought to you by TechTarget where you can get
relevant search results from over 19 industry-specific Web sites.

Whatis.com contacts:
Lowell Thing, Site Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Margaret Rouse, Assistant Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Unsubscribe from 'Updates on new site content'
 - Simply Reply to this Email with REMOVE within the Body or Subject
>  or
 - Go to: http://WhatIs.techtarget.com/register
 - Log in to edit your profile.
 - Click on the link to Edit email subscriptions.
 - Uncheck the box next to the newsletter you wish
   to unsubscribe from.
 - When finished, click "Save Changes to My Profile."