a weekly newsletter fromTechTarget
WhatIsThis Week
September 3, 2002 >> Receive this email as text  >> About this e-mail
  In this Issue
>> From the editor: What I learned at Kmart
>> Featured topic from SearchWin2000.com: Linux vs. Windows
>> Reader Feedback: Pronunciation never sleeps

  What I learned at Kmart
By Margaret Rouse, Assistant Editor

Yesterday we went back-to-school shopping at one of America's leading department stores, Kmart. When we were ready to check out, we decided to try one of their new self-scanning stations. It was the first time I'd seen one of these new-fangled inventions up close. I worried a little about whether I'd be able to manage the technology gracefully, but the people ahead of me assured me that the computer would guide me through the process step-by-step. They were right.

Here's how it works: After you're done shopping, you go to an automated checkout stand in the store and touch a computer screen to let the checkout computer know you're ready to leave. The computer's animated voice gives you instructions about how to scan your items and where to place them once they've been scanned.

The computer's scanner uses radio waves to deactivate the barcode on each item so you don't trip the store's alarm system when you leave. The barcode includes the item's price and weight -- when the computer directs you to place the scanned item in a waiting shopping bag, you're really placing the scanned item on a scale. If the weight you add to the bag doesn't correspond to the item you just scanned, an alarm goes off. After you've completed scanning your purchases, the computer tells you how much you owe. You can pay by cash, debit, or charge card.

You're pretty much on your own checking yourself out, and I must admit it felt more than a little surreal. There are store employees there to assist you and there's the ever-present video camera there to watch over you, but it's basically just you and the computer transacting business.

The thing that surprised me was how empowered I felt after checking myself out. What was that all about?

I think it had something to do with the fact that without anyone's help, I'd tried something new and was successful. Self-directed learning is empowering. That's what I really learned at Kmart yesterday. Ok, maybe I should say that's what I "relearned".

We have self-directed learning experiences at whatis.com. We call them "Learning Paths". You could also call them "Learn by definition". The idea of a Learning Path is simply to read a series of definitions related to the same topic in sequence, one definition at a time, as a way to learn (or relearn). We don't have a computer-animated voice to lead you through the process, but we do have step-by-step directions.

This week we invite you to shop through our list of Learning Path topics and "check out" something new to learn. Empower yourself.

Go to the Learning Paths

 Featured Site: SearchWin2000.com
FEATURED TOPIC: LINUX VS. WINDOWS
What does the recent outbreak of love for Linux mean to Microsoft? This week, our featured topic on SearchWin2000.com is all about that.
Find our more

TOP 10 ADMINISTRATOR TIPS
What's the best piece of advice you received this year? Here's a list of admin tips rated by the number of Windows IT pros who read them. It's a top 10 hit parade that will guide you in everything from boot disks to viruses.
Get tips

 Reader Feedback: Pronunciation never sleeps
by Lowell Thing, Editor

We've had more mail about our new "How do you pronounce IT?" reference than any new feature we're added in recent memory. By this time, about 80 of you have contributed and we see no end to it. Here are a few contributions from the past week:

From Belgium, Toon van de Putte wrote "The tech-savvy way to pronounce png (the graphics format) is 'ping', but just pee-en-gee is also acceptable."

From New Zealand, someone requested the pronunciation for "homogenous" (ho-mo-DJEEN-uhs), and we also plan to add the pronunciation for "homogeneous" (ho-mo-DJEEN-ee-uhs), a different word.

Paul Yong Yew Fie sent us a list of 17 terms with pronunciations. We plan to add these soon.

Jamie Simm noted that our pronunciation of "QAM" is inconsistent with most current usage, and we agree. We will change to his suggested "KWAHM" as the most likely pronunciation.

A number of readers from the U.K. have requested that we acknowledge the U.K. pronunciations for terms that differ from those in the U.S. We are working on that.

"How do you pronounce IT?" is a work-in-progress that you'll find in the "Fast References" section of our home page. Just scroll down on...

http://www.whatis.com

or go directly to...

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci845059,00.html

This e-mail is brought to you by TechTarget where you can get relevant search results from over 19 industry-specific Web sites.

Whatis.com contacts:
Lowell Thing, Site Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Margaret Rouse, Assistant Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

To unsubscribe from Updates on new site content:

>> Simply Reply to this Email with REMOVE within the Body or Subject
-OR-
>> Go to: http://WhatIs.techtarget.com/register/1,,sid9,00.html
   - Log in to edit your profile.
   - Click on the link to Edit email subscriptions.
   - Uncheck the box next to the newsletter you wish to unsubscribe from
   - When finished, click "Save Changes to My Profile".

Copyright 2002 TechTarget, Inc. All rights reserved.