THE WHATIS.COM WORD-OF-THE-DAY
September 11, 2002

Wayback Machine
TODAY'S WORD: Wayback Machine

See our definition with hyperlinks at
http://searchwebservices.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid26_gci779950,00.html

The Wayback Machine is a Web site that enables anyone to see what a
particular Web site looked like at some time in the past - from 1996
to the present. This enormous archive of the Web's past requires over
100 terabytes of storage and contains 10 billion Web pages! The
archive of pages was originally gathered by the owners of the Alexa
program, a toolbar you can install on your PC that provides Web site
information and ratings.

At the Wayback Machine site, you can search for and link to any of
your favorite Web sites of the past and find them preserved very much
as they were at various "snapshots" in time. For example, you can see
how whatis.com looked in late 1996 and also at various times during
1997 and all the way to the present. (Occasionally, an ad that was
served from another site will be missing and we noticed a few graphic
images missing from our original site.) In general, however, the
range and completeness of the archive is remarkable.

The Wayback Machine also carries a few "special collection" features
that show how Web sites responded to the tragedy on September 11,
2001; Web pages from the U.S. election of 2000; and a "Web Pioneers"
collection, that features some sites that were important to the early
Internet.

The Wayback Machine is at http://web.archive.org. From time to time,
the site's performance may be a bit slow.

RELATED TERMS:

terabyte
http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid5_gci213118,00.html

______________________
SELECTED LINKS:

The Wayback Machine's Pioneers Collection includes Yahoo!, Amazon,
and the National Center for Supercomputer Applications.
http://web.archive.org/collections/pioneers.html

Here's what Yahoo! looked like on December 20, 1996.
http://web.archive.org/web/19961220154510/http://www.yahoo.com/

Here's what whatis.com looked like on December 23, 1996 (most of
these definitions have long since been rewritten).
http://web.archive.org/web/19961223130115/http://www.whatis.com/

Here's what TechTarget's original Web site - search400.com - looked
like on December 7, 1998.
http://web.archive.org/web/19981207011328/http://www.search400.com/

______________________
QUIZ #9 | Wireless

How much do you know about wireless technology? Take our quiz and
find out!
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci752723,00.html

______________________
CROSSWORD PUZZLE | #1

Try our latest IT learning tool! Improve your flexible thinking
skills.
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/1,,sid9_gci849642,00.html

______________________
WHATIS DISCUSSION FORUM | Challenge #14: Help! Am I infected?

When you get a virus alert about an e-mail attachment, what should
you do next?
http://whatis.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]@.1dcfae0e/129

______________________________
RECENT ADDITIONS AND UPDATES

[1] satellite news gathering
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci849644,00.html

[2] rack-mounted
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci847923,00.html

[3] transconductance
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci214200,00.html

[4] HDMI
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci847398,00.html

[5] direct broadcast satellite
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci848373,00.html

:::::::::::::::::::  WHATIS.COM CONTACTS   :::::::::::::::::::

LOWELL THING, Site Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

MARGARET ROUSE, Assistant Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
::::::::::::::::::::  ABOUT THIS NEWSLETTER   :::::::::::::::::::::

Published by TechTarget (http://www.techtarget.com)
 TechTarget - The Most Targeted IT Media
 Copyright 2002, All Rights Reserved.

If you would like to sponsor this or any TechTarget newsletter,
please contact Gabrielle DeRussy at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Unsubscribe from 'Word of the Day'
 - Simply Reply to this Email with REMOVE within the Body or Subject
>  or
 - Go to: http://WhatIs.techtarget.com/register
 - Log in to edit your profile.
 - Click on the link to Edit email subscriptions.
 - Uncheck the box next to the newsletter you wish
   to unsubscribe from.
 - When finished, click "Save Changes to My Profile."