THE WHATIS.COM WORD-OF-THE-DAY
October 31, 2002

feature creep
______________
TODAY'S SPONSOR: AMD

You want technology that's built for you. We hear you. That's why at
AMD we design and build our processors with your needs in mind. We
always have. We always will.
To learn more visit http://www.amd.com/amdme
______________
TODAY'S WORD: feature creep

See our definition with hyperlinks at
http://searchcio.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid19_gci860179,00.html

Feature creep (sometimes known as requirements creep) is a tendency
for product or project requirements to increase during development
beyond those originally foreseen, leading to features that weren't
originally planned and resulting risk to product quality or schedule.
Feature creep may be driven by a client's growing "wish list" or by
developers themselves as they see opportunity for improving the
product. To control feature creep, project management tools, such as
the requirements stability index (RSI), are sometimes advocated.

Feature creep and the deliberate spoonerism creature feep should not
be confused with the "creature feature," the kind of horror movie
that might be popular at Halloween.

RELATED TERMS:

requirements stability index
http://searchsap.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid21_gci763845,00.html

______________________
SELECTED LINKS:

Builder.com has advice for "Warding off feature creep."
http://builder.com.com/article.jhtml?id=u00320020513gcn01.htm

SearchCIO.com offers a collection of Best Web Links for Project
Management.
http://searchcio.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,289521,sid19_tax283020,00
.html

Gasamutra has an article about "Killing Feature Creep Without Ever
Saying No." (Free registration may be required.)
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20001020/crabtree_01.htm

Dilbert meets a feature creep.
http://www.freelists.org/archives/hacknot/06-2002/bmp00000.bmp

______________________
QUIZ #31 | Laptops

Our latest quiz is dedicated to all of you who at one time or
another, have had to lug around, lost, or wished to own a laptop.
Good luck!

>> Take the quiz
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci859967,00.html

______________________
CROSSWORD PUZZLE #5 | Firewalls

Improve your flexible thinking skills. Print out the puzzle and keep
it nearby to work on throughout your day!
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci856796,00.html

______________________
REAL-LIFE CHALLENGE #19 | Internet banking while at work

Rob's fellow employees want to know if it's safe to do their Internet
banking over the company LAN. Can you advise them?
http://whatis.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?msgInContext@;233.yYyLaVl9s
HU.5@.1dcfae0e/154

______________________________
RECENT ADDITIONS AND UPDATES

[1] element
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci859557,00.html

[2] OA&M
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci859556,00.
html

[3] portrait
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci859545,00.html

[4] landscape
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci859544,00.html

[5] TP0-TP4
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci854617,00.
html

LOWELL THING, Site Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

MARGARET ROUSE, Associate Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])