a weekly newsletter fromTechTarget
WhatIsThis Week
November 27, 2002 >> Receive this email as text  >> About this e-mail
  In this Issue
>> From the editor: Words escape; threaten city!
>> Featured topic from SearchWin2000.com: Understanding Group Policy
>> Reader Feedback: How to think "outside the box"

  Words escape; threaten city!
by Lowell Thing, Editor

This past week, some of our IT words escaped and ran amok before we could finally rein them in again. But not before they did some damage and garnered these headlines in our local "CyberBizarre Tabloid." This morning, supermarket shoppers were startled to read:

"CHANNEL" CAN'T DECIDE ITS OWN MEANING!

SHORT TERM GETS LONG TERM IN CITY JAIL!

"MAN" BYTES ENTIRE CITY!

SCIENTIST CALLS GOOGOL SOMETHING UNPRINTABLE!

HTML ATTRIBUTE DEPRECATED!

DEVELOPER EATS DOG-FOOD! GUI!

HYPHENS STOLEN FROM E-WORDS; STOCK MARKET DOWN!

SMILEYS ELECT =:O PRESIDENT!

HUMPTY DUMPTY FALLS OFF FIREWALL!

HACKER INMATE'S MOM BAKES FLAT FILE INTO PI

HEAVYWEIGHT THREAD WINS WORLD TITLE!

MOUSE FALLS INTO HONEY POT; TURNS INTO MOLE!

COMPUTER ARRESTED FOR ILLEGAL OPERATION!

BEZIER CURVE GOES STRAIGHT; WINS CITIZEN AWARD!

IRRATIONAL NUMBER BECOMES REASONABLE!

LEMNISCATES COMMIT MASS SUICIDE IN BERING SEA!...

Well, you can see some damage was done, but a few renegade words are still out there and we wonder if you can figure out what tomorrow's headlines will bring. Please send us your own headline based on any whatis.com term or terms and we'll send a TechTarget cap (one size fits all) to the winning entry. The deadline is next Monday, December 2. We'd also like to tell readers your name and occupation so please let us know that, too. (Thank you.)

Send your headlines to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Featured Site: SearchWin2000.com
FEATURED TOPIC: Understanding Group Policy
SearchWin2000.com has collected resources about some of the most powerful features of AD and Win2k -- group policies. Their collection of tips shows all the different ways you can use group policy to manage users, automate processes and secure your systems.
Learn more about Group Policy

Sign up for our Active Directory newsletter
Subscribe to SearchWin2000.com's Active Directory
Administration Tips and get AD tips that will help you with the planning, administration and maintenance of AD services.
Subscribe now

 Reader Feedback: How to think "outside the box"
by Margaret Rouse, Associate Editor

This week we got an interesting e-mail from a reader named Julie. She wrote, "I was just looking up the definition of think outside the box on your site, when I noticed you said you were unsure of the origins. Thought you might find this useful: The popular term 'think outside the box' refers partly to a brain teaser."

Thanks, Julie! We've corrected our definition and added your name as a contributor. The term "outside the box" is said to derive from a famous puzzle created by early 20th century British mathematician Henry Ernest Dudeney, in which someone is asked to interconnect nine dots in a three-by-three grid by using four straight lines -- drawn without the pencil leaving the paper. In order to be successful, the puzzle solver has to realize that the boundaries of the dot array are psychological. The only way to solve the puzzle is to extend the lines beyond the artificial boundary created by the nine dots. Need to see the solution? Here you go!

Something else that caught our interest this week:

Regarding Bill Gates and his foundation's $100 million commitment to support an initiative to slow the spread of HIV/AIDS in India, Jared001 wrote: "I can't help but be cynical about Bill Gates's gesture, when this was done around the time all of India's training and education institutes were going to become Linux strongholds." Jared001 wants to know what you think. He says flames and rants are perfectly ok. Yikes!

http://whatis.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]@.1dcfb0f7/63!viewtype=threadDate&skip=&expand=

This e-mail is brought to you by TechTarget where you can get relevant search results from over 19 industry-specific Web sites.

Whatis.com contacts:
Lowell Thing, Site Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Margaret Rouse, Associate Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

To unsubscribe from Updates on new site content:

>> Simply Reply to this Email with REMOVE within the Body or Subject
-OR-
>> Go to: http://WhatIs.techtarget.com/register/1,,sid9,00.html
   - Log in to edit your profile.
   - Click on the link to Edit email subscriptions.
   - Uncheck the box next to the newsletter you wish to unsubscribe from
   - When finished, click "Save Changes to My Profile".

Copyright 2002 TechTarget, Inc. All rights reserved.