THE WHATIS.COM WORD-OF-THE-DAY
January 31, 2003

Java virtual machine

______________
TODAY'S SPONSOR: Free whitepapers for CIOs

Download the key papers you need today to make better-informed
decisions. Targeted categories include: Management and Strategy,
Service Providers, Industry-Specific Applications, and E-business
Technology.

Click here to access the free SearchCIO.com white papers section.
http://searchcio.techtarget.com/whitepapers3/0,,sid19,00.html

______________
TODAY'S WORD: Java virtual machine

See our complete definition with hyperlinks at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid12_gci876253,00.html

A Java virtual machine (JVM), an implementation of the Java Virtual
Machine Specification, interprets compiled Java binary code (called
bytecode) for a computer's processor (or "hardware platform") so that
it can perform a Java program's instructions. Java was designed to
allow application programs to be built that could be run on any
platform without having to be rewritten or recompiled by the
programmer for each separate platform. A Java virtual machine makes
this possible because it is aware of the specific instruction lengths
and other particularities of the platform.

The Java Virtual Machine Specification defines an abstract -- rather
than a real -- machine or processor. The Specification specifies an
instruction set, a set of registers, a stack, a "garbage heap," and a
method area. Once a Java virtual machine has been implemented for a
given platform, any Java program (which, after compilation, is called
bytecode) can run on that platform. A Java virtual machine can either
interpret the bytecode one instruction at a time (mapping it to a
real processor instruction) or the bytecode can be compiled further
for the real processor using what is called a just-in-time compiler.

RELATED TERMS:

Java
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid12_gci212415,00.html

bytecode
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci211722,00.html

instruction
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci212356,00.html

platform
http://searchcio.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid19_gci212797,00.html

just-in-time compiler
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci212423,00.html

SELECTED LINKS:

David Reilly explains how a JVM works in "Inside Java: The Java
Virtual Machine."
http://www.javacoffeebreak.com/articles/inside_java/insidejava-jan99.html

Chapter 5 of "Inside the Java Virtual Machine" provides an overview
of the JVM internal architecture.
http://www.artima.com/insidejvm/ed2/jvm.html

The Java Virtual Machine Model shows the pathway a Java program
follows as it executes.
http://cne.gmu.edu/itcore/virtualmachine/jvm.htm

SearchSolaris.com provides links to more information about the Java
virtual machine.
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/search/1,293876,sid12,00.html?query=JVM&ctype=SITE

______________________
QUIZ #35 | Common Vulnerabilities

Take our quiz to test your knowledge about common security
vulnerabilities. Learn how to defend your organization against them
with the resources we've collected.
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci875285,00.html

______________________
WHATIS.COM POLL | How do you stay on top?

57% of the readers who responded to our last poll said they hadn't
been sent for any IT training in 2002.  We'd like to know:
How do you stay on top of what's new in your area of IT?
http://www.whatis.com/poll

______________________
REAL LIFE CHALLENGE | Upgrade to Win2k server or wait for .NET?

Ned is an IT manager in a Windows NT environment with a couple of
hundred workstations and several servers. Ned's CEO wants him to
determine whether it would be better for the company upgrade to a
Windows 2000 server, or wait until the Windows .NET server (now
called Microsoft Windows Server 2003) comes out. Can you advise?

http://whatis.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]@.1dcfae0e/211!viewtype=threadDate&skip=&expand=

______________________________
RECENT ADDITIONS AND UPDATES

[1] R/2
http://searchsap.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid21_gci876431,00.html

[2] heuristics
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci876400,00.html

[3] mail transfer agent
http://searchwebservices.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid26_gci876011,00.html

[4] X#
http://searchwebservices.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid26_gci875257,00.html

[5] Advanced Planner and Optimizer
http://searchsap.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid21_gci874121,00.html

LOWELL THING, Site Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

MARGARET ROUSE, Associate Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])