On Jan 11, 2007, at 2:17 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:

On Jan 10, 2007, at 13:26, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

What's the expected payoff if the message is made well-known?

As far as I know:
*   Better intonation for screenreaders.
*   Better heuristics for Google Glossary. (Continuing my example from
    not *sure* that this is how Google Glossary works, but for example,
    all its misdefinitions of the words "update" and "warning" are from
    <b>, not <strong>.)
*   Easier styling for Chinese text.

I didn't know about the last one until yesterday, so I would not be surprised if there were others.

It has not yet consumed much time, effort, money, blog posts, spec examples or discussion threads. In the absence of other evidence, I think it is worth trying.

Agreed. I also suggest that the first sentence of the usage notes for <b> and <i> be toned down a bit, like this: "The b element should be used when an author cannot find a more appropriate element, and should be generated by authoring tools where users are unlikely to choose a more appropriate element".

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/