Le Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:04:39 +0200, Colin Lieberman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit:

I'm not sure how this is a backwards compatibility issue. My understanding is that user agents aren't actually parsing information from the doctype, just checking for its existence. The only applications that should break are validators, which would need to be updated anyway.

I ran some quick (and highly unscientific tests) on ff1.5 and ie7 (both pc) with a real html 4 doctype, <!DOCTYPE html>, and <!DOCTYPE html5> (both with and without a space before the 5), and nothing broke in terms of rendering or function.

Please let me know if there's something I'm missing here.

Thanks,
Colin Lieberman

You can't simply invent any DOCTYPE definition, while having it backwards compatible.

Here's a tutorial about DTD, which also explains the DOCTYPE line:
http://www.w3schools.com/dtd/dtd_intro.asp

Specifically:
<!DOCTYPE root-element [element-declarations]>

The root element in HTML5 is "html", not "html5".

--
http://www.robodesign.ro
ROBO Design - We bring you the future