On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:37:31 +0100, Elliotte Harold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

             Homework 1  Homework 2 Homework 3
John Smith    87           86         98
Jane Jones   100           78         98
Fred Wilde    89           65         69

I'd mark this up as follows:

    <thead>
        <th colspan="2">Homework 1</th>
        <th>Homework 2</th>
        <th>Homework3</th>
    </thead>
    <tbody>
        <th scope="row">John Smith</th>
    </tbody>

I think this gives enough semantics for the UA to defer that "John Smith" is the label, header or whatever you might call it, for all of the successive td columns. The same applies for the td's in <thead>, which by default have 'scope="col"' (not DOM-wise, but semantically).

<http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/tables.html#adef-scope>

Anyone else want to chime in here? Has anybody else noticed a need that would be solved by essentially changing the for attribute from IDREF to IDREFS? Thoughts?

I wouldn't be against it, but considering the accessibility use in <label>, I can't quite get how it's supposed to work when it points to several different elements. A "click" event against the label now triggers focus() on the target element. What is supposed to happen in your use case?

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg     -=|=-    http://virtuelvis.com/quark/