On Mar 13, 2007, at 22:29, Asbjørn Ulsberg wrote:

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:07:20 +0100, Simon Pieters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Many pages use tables where only the first column are header cells, e.g.:

With the current algorithm for assigning header cells to data cells, the first <th> won't be a header cell for any data cells.

Can't 'scope="row"' be used?

In order to be more compatible with existing content, and in order to
not require authors to use more complex markup for such a simple table
like the one above, I think it probably should be.

Yea, perhaps. I'd vote for 'scope', though.

When the options are badgering innumerable authors into doing something and making relatively few users agents implement slightly smarter heuristics, the latter should win.

--
Henri Sivonen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]