Silvia Pfeiffer ha scritto:
Hi Ian,

Thanks for taking the time to go through all the options, analyse and
understand them - especially on your birthday! :-) Much appreciated!

Than, happy birthday to Ian!

[...]
The only real issue that we have with separate files is that the
captions may get lost when people download the video, store it
locally, and share it with friends. Maybe we should consider solving
this differently. Either we could encapsulate into the video container
upon download. Or we could create a zip-file or tarball upon download.
I'd just find it a big mistake to ignore the majority use case in the
standard, which is why I proposed the <text> elements inside the
<video> tag.

[...]

A flying thought: why not thinking also to a further option for embedding everything in a sort of "all-in-one" html page generated on the fly when downloading, making of it a global container for video and text to be consumed by UAs (while maintaining the opportunity to download a video as a separate file, of course)? For instance, the video itself might become the base64-encoded (or otherwise acceptably encoded) value of a data-* attribute (or a more specific attribute) to be decoded by a script (as well generated on the fly) and served to the video engine as a "javascript:" url in place of the video src (or, perhaps better, the UA might do that itself by supporting the "data:" protocol as a valid source for the video, or a fragid pointing to an element following the </video> tag, perhaps a <paintext> or something else, and containing the encoded video); while text elements might wrap the corresponding timed text file, to be embedded into the page as bare text, similarly to a script code -- if a certain format contained <text> tag, those might be changed into &lt;text&gt; or similarly (or perhaps the file content might be encoded as well) to avoid conflicts with html tags.

Of course, it's a "first-glance" idea, and needs further considerations on its reliability (e.g. such an html page perhaps shouldn't be the source set for a video in another page, and an option should be provided to extract embedded contet; seeking might require a sequential decoding to reach a desired point, and so on).

Regards, Alex

--
Caselle da 1GB, trasmetti allegati fino a 3GB e in piu' IMAP, POP3 e SMTP
autenticato? GRATIS solo con Email.it http://www.email.it/f

Sponsor:
Partecipa al concorso “Crea il tuo Webshire” su Leiweb: vincere è un gioco da ragazze! Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=8518&d=27-12