Christian Svindseth wrote:

On Feb 4, 2009, at 11:23 AM, Robert O'Rourke wrote:

Unless I'm misreading the spec completely, HTML5 supports h1-h6, and even header elements inside list items.

-Chris

I know that, I was referring to the <lh> element ie.

<ul>
  <lh>A header for the list</lh>
  <li>List item</li>
  <li>List item</li>
  <li>List item</li>
</ul>

Ah, I see. Sorry about that.

My first thought is that allowing the existing header elements directly inside the ul would make more sense, but I could be missing something.

There doesn't seem to be any significant semantic difference between the lh element and the ones already in the spec.

-Chris

No problem. It's true they're not too different but there are cases where you may want a heading on a list but it doesn't necessarily constitute a tier of the document on it's own. It's my understanding that <h1> - <h6> are more for structure. Perhaps if <h1> to <h6> were allowed immediately inside of a list it would be useful to HTML authors anyway but <lh> would be semantically perfect for the job and also provide a dicrete element away from other headers for styling. Thought it was worth suggesting here anyway.

-Rob