Jon Barnett wrote:
Was it advertized?

Not particularly.

I follow Firefox closely enough, but I don't remember when XPointer was
supported.

If you only follow "Firefox", then you might not have have noticed it anyway. XPointer support for anchor scrolling was added to Gecko in March 2003. Firefox wasn't even called Firefox until about a year later.

Note that XPointer is only supported for anchor scrolling in XML documents (not XHTML ones, from what I can see) in Gecko, which is another reason no one's using it, I bet.

Was it supported by other browsers?

No idea.

It would be rare in the wild if it's only supported by Firefox.

Yep.

Do other browsers have easy scripting support for XPath?

No idea.

Except for the cross-domain iframe case, you could script support for XPointer if the browser has decent support for XPath in Javascript. I know I've had instances where I wished for XPointer support. It may or may not have had a fair shake.

It probably hasn't.

-Boris