On 13 Jul 2009, at 08:52, Bruce Lawson wrote:

I'd like to suggest that input
type="url" allows the http:// prefix to be optional on input and, if ommitted, be assumed when parsing.

The spec explicitly allows that actual value seen and edited by the user in the interface is different from DOM value of the input, so browsers are free to prepend http:// automatically (and IMHO should – DSK-253195).

Excellent. And, while I don't doubt you at all, I'm abashed that I missed that nuance, especially as it'#s explicitly allowed? Where would I find that in the spec?

The "URL state" section says that value in DOM may be different from value in the user interface:

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/forms.html#url-state

The example difference given in the spec is URL-escaping, but in my understanding, it should allow to prepending of protocol as well (I admit that last bit is not stated explicitly).

--
regards, Kornel