I've just noticed an apparent self-contradiction in the Web Storage spec (24 August draft).

Section 4.3 states:
Data stored in local storage areas should be considered potentially user-critical. It is expected that Web applications will use the local storage areas for storing user-written documents.

Section 6.1 states:
User agents should present the persistent storage feature to the user in a way that does not distinguish them from HTTP session cookies.

These statements are contradictory, because cookies don't store user- critical data such as documents. The user model of cookies is that they're conveniences (at best) for keeping you logged into a site or remembering preferences like font-size, so deleting them is no more than an inconvenience. If local storage is presented to the user as being cookies, then a user may delete it without understanding the consequences.

Potential result: "I was having trouble logging into FooDocs.com, so my friend suggested I delete the cookies for that site. After that I could log in, but now the document I was working on this morning has lost all the changes I made! How do I get them back?"

I suggest that the sub-section "Treating persistent storage as cookies" of section 6.1 be removed.

—Jens