On 01/14/2010 12:49 AM, Simon Montagu wrote:
On 01/11/2010 11:35 PM, fantasai wrote:
On 11/26/2009 10:54 PM, Simon Montagu wrote:

I assume your Gecko example is using a very recent version of Gecko,
such as a nightly build or a beta of Firefox 3.6? I fixed this issue
only a few months ago.

The HTML standard does specify what to do in this case, see
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/dirlang.html#style-bidi:

"When a block element that does not have a dir attribute is transformed
to the style of an inline element by a style sheet, the resulting
presentation should be equivalent, in terms of bidirectional formatting,
to the formatting obtained by explicitly adding a dir attribute
(assigned the inherited value) to the transformed element."

In practice, however, since browsers are not consistent, authors will
have to use CSS properties to achieve the expected results.

Does this mean applying "unicode-bidi: embed" to all block-level
elements?
Because that seems like it fulfill those requirements.

I was thinking in terms of applying "unicode-bidi: embed" ad hoc
whenever applying "display: inline" to a specific element, but applying
it wholesale to all block-level elements will also work, of course.

In that case, I suggest the we add it to the sample default style sheet for
HTML 4 in the CSS2.1 appendix, and recommend the HTMLWG add some wording
about block-level elements defining bidi embedding boundaries to the HTML5
spec (and perhaps using CSS's "unicode-bidi: embed" rule as an example).

~fantasai