Le 28/04/2010 00:03, Garrett Smith a écrit :
On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 10:04 AM, David Flanagan
<da...@davidflanagan.com>  wrote:
Erik Arvidsson wrote:
[snip]
Rather that trying to make DOM collections feel like arrays, how about just
giving them a toArray() method?  This makes it clear that a collection is
not an array, but clearly defines a way to obtain an array.  Clever
implementors might even be able to optimize common uses-cases using some
kind of copy-on-write strategy so that toArray() doesn't involve memory
allocation and copying.

That would solve the OP's problem, but what about other collections
like NodeList, StyleSheetList, and CSSStyleDeclaration?
I am sorry, I don't know what "OP" stands for.

An interface that has a toArray() method might be more suitable, as it
could be added arbitrarily to other interfaces mentioned already.
I agree with this idea and proposed something in that direction recently :
http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2010-April/026057.html

In any case, the problem is not going to go away in IE6. Nor IE7. Nor
IE8. IE9 might change to implement Host object collections as native
ECMAScript objects, but even then, then the problems will still need
to be addressed in all versions of IE prior.
In this case, what do you refer as "the problem" ?

When I started this thread, my point was to define a normalized way (through ECMAScript binding) to add array extras to array-like objects in the scope of HTML5 (HTMLCollection and inheriting interfaces). I don't see any reason yet to try to find a solution to problems that are in current web browsers. Of course, if/when a proposal emerges from this thread and some user agent accept to implement it, a workaround (probably, feature detection) will have to be found to use the feature in user agents that implement it and doing something equivalent in web browsers that don't.

MSIE's implementation of Host objects WRT Array generics is a
fundamental and significant and important problem that needs to be
addressed.

If Internet Explorer's problems with Host objects cannot be fixed,
then it would be a nice feature to have a way to get an array from a
collection.
The idea of getting an Array from a collection came out without IE in mind.
If we want to have it in a specification, it has to be a good idea regardless browsers specificities.

However, Microsoft should release an IE9 where host object collections
are implemented as native ECMAscript objects. If they can do that, the
problems would not be an issue.

What do you say, Travis Leithead and IE Team? Will you release IE9
with host object implemented as native EcmaScript objects?
I have not seen any Travis Leithead or IE Team in the recipients. Is that normal ?

David