From: whatwg-boun...@lists.whatwg.org [mailto:whatwg-boun...@lists.whatwg.org]
On Behalf Of Jonas Sicking
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2010 2:10 PM
To: Nicholas Zakas
Cc: Scott Hess; Alexandre Morgaut; whatwg@lists.whatwg.org; Jeremy Orlow
Subject: Re: [whatwg] Proposal for Web Storage expiration

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Nicholas Zakas <nza...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> If a site could create multiple Storage areas, then I would agree that
> per-item expiration wouldn't be necessary and we could get along fine with
> per-storage expiration. However, that's not the case, and the expiration use
> case is clearly already present.

If we add this to IndexedDB then there are certainly multiple storage
areas. You can have any number of objectStores inside any number of
databases.

> Having every developer that wants to expire data write his or her own code
> seems extremely wasteful to me. Why ask people to reinvent the same
> functionality over and over again? Whether or not cookies are a good model to
> follow, the expiration functionality is what makes auth sequences using them
> feasible.
>
> I'd defer to those who know on implementation details, but this doesn't seem
> like a very hard problem to solve in a performant way.

If we add expiration to IndexedDB on an objectStore level, then the
page author doesn't need to do anything beyond setting an expiration
date, right?

/ Jonas