On 1/18/11 2:01 PM, Zachary Ozer wrote:
On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Boris Zbarsky<bzbar...@mit.edu>  wrote:
On 1/18/11 12:11 PM, Zachary Ozer wrote:

(Side
note: I also haven't found a browser that stops loading the resource
even if you destroy the video tag.)

"destroy" in what sense?  You verified in a debugger that it had been
garbage collected?

I'm doing document.body.removeChild. Is there a better way to do it?

Not really, no. Once you remove it, even if there is nothing referencing it anymore (which may or may not be the case depending on what other code is running on the page), it still won't be destroyed until the next time garbage collection happens. In the case of garbage collectors that can do different levels of collection (generational, etc), it won't be destroyed until whatever level is needed to destroy it happens.

In general, depending on finalizers to release resources (which is what's happening here) is not really a workable setup. Maybe we need an api to explicitly release the data on an audio/video tag?

-Boris