On 9/10/11 9:04 PM, Nils Dagsson Moskopp wrote:
Oops, partial misunderstanding. While I did not think of SVG (thanks),
I wanted to know how often authors have erred here by not properly
encoding their data, expecting it to work.

Good question.

Given that it used to work in Gecko, WebKit, and Presto (unlike SVG from data:, which did not really work in Gecko), it might have been reasonably common....

On the other hand, this would presumably mostly be a problem for people hand-writing data: URIs. Any sort of data: URI generator would get this right, as you point out.

I suspect that data: URI usage on the web is rare enough so far that there are no serious backwards-compat issues.

Btw: Are there possible security implications of data URI parse changes?

Not so much implications of the "changes", since it's not like UAs actually parse them per spec... but yes, a URI like this:

  data:text/html,#<script>doStuff()</script>

is very difficult to sanitize if your URI parser just treats the part before '#' as the data while a browser treats everything after the ',' as the data. So there are definitely security implications to the fact that the browser behavior is not consistent, either across browsers, within a given browser, or with the specs.

-Boris