Am 03.05.2012 00:50 schrieb Ian Hickson:
On Mon, 7 Mar 2011, Markus Ernst wrote:

A content management or blog system for a corporate website allows to
set font and background colors. The designers define allowed color sets
the way that the corporate design guidelines are respected, and that the
text is always readable - e.g. three light color shades for backgrounds,
and two corporate colors and black for text.

You don't really need a colour picker for that... it's more a<select>
than a colour picker. Or a series of radio buttons. If the presentation is
more the concern, then we should probably rely on Web Components to solve
the problem (styling a<select>  with a new presentation, e.g.).

It is actually an input field that requires a valid color to be entered; whether it is presented as a color picker or a select box may be up to the UA. I don't see any consistency in having to use different HTML elements whether the selection of colors is defined by the UA (e.g. showing a picker with all colors of the web palette) or by the author.

Anyway, 4.10.7.1.15 of the spec states in the bookkeeping details that the @list content and IDL attributes apply to input type=color - if I understand this correctly, it addresses my proposal.

[...]

- The fact that most CMS do not have restricted color sets so far, does
not mean there is no demand for it, but rather shows the difficulty of
customizing tools such as TinyMCE. It is a hassle for CMS implementors
(who are often not highly skilled JS programmers), if they are expected
to respect corporate design guidelines.

I don't follow. Right now (before type=color is widely implemented) it's
easier to provide a limited set of colours than all colours. Surely then
we should see more CMSes have restricted colour sets if it's a matter of
difficulty.

The CMS I know are shipped with TinyMCE or KHTML or whatever rich text editors. They usually provide a color picker with a predefined set of colors (iirc it is mostly the web palette) by default, which is non-trivial to override or customize; IMHO this is the reason why customized color pickers are not widely used. There are definitely use cases for them.