On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 14:56:23 +0200, Henri Sivonen <hsivo...@iki.fi> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <phil...@opera.com> wrote:
When this was last discussed in the HTML WG (January 2012) I opened a bug
(MOBILE-275) for Opera Mobile to expose the title attribute in our
long-click menu, arguing that one could not enjoy XKCD without it. I meant to report back to the HTML WG but forgot, so here it is. Unfortunately, the
bug was rejected... quoting the project management:

"Sure it is nice to have, but noone else has it so we will not put our
effort into this"

Firefox for Android (at least on the Nightly channel) displays the
content of the title attribute on XKCD comics (up to a length limit
which can often be too limiting) upon tap and hold:
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/screen/xkcd-firefox-for-android.png

Not to suggest that XKCD's title usage is OK but just to correct the
"noone else" bit.

Thanks for pointing this out, either we did poor research or this is a new feature. In any case, I'll forward this information to our internal bug. Opera's context menus are a bit smaller than that, so I don't think adding a few paragraphs of text at the top of them would work.

it seems unwise to recommend using the title attribute to convey important information.

Indeed. In addition to image considerations, I think
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#footnotes is bad
advice.

Yeah, that looks like a pretty bad idea, even for sighted users on desktop browsers, unless you also add span[title] { border-bottom: 1px dotted black; } or similar to your CSS to make it more discoverable. Removing that advice seems like a good idea.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer