On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 5:53 AM, Michael Norton <no...@me.com> wrote:
> It seems that the canvas element could really help make this a reality.  The
> Editor's Draft I reviewed on the w3c site  this week seems to suggest that
> text and glyphs generated with accessibility-scale functions would not be
> able to be easily edited (text) nor cut-and-pasted.  Am I understanding this
> correctly?  If so, that's a plus for me as the data which would be utilized
> to populate the digital spectrometer on the front end would be pulled from
> other sources where editing functionality is authorized.

The last sentence seems unrelated to the rest of the paragraph.
Editing a data source is a very different thing from editing a local
copy of text on a webpage.  There is no reason to worry about the
latter when it's the former that needs authorization.  Using <canvas>
just to make less-accessible text is inappropriate.

Similarly, lack of copy/paste functionality is disconnected from
anything you might need authorization for at the data source level. If
you can copy/paste, you can just type it out yourself, so you aren't
preventing anything.  Efforts to restrict or disallow copy/paste on
websites in the past (stretching back to the early days of JavaScript)
have always been that terrible combination of utterly worthless and
completely user-hostile.  Using <canvas> to try and restrict
copy/paste is a fool's errand, and inappropriate as well.

That said, using <canvas> to easily create cross-platform
visualizations of data is a very worthwhile and appropriate thing to
do.

~TJ