On 2014-11-14 02:49, Glenn Maynard wrote:
On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 7:17 PM, Roger Hågensen <resca...@emsai.net> wrote:

I have one real live use case that would be affected by this.
http://player.gridstream.org/request/

Unfortunately, even if a couple pages have a legitimate use for a feature,
when countless thousands of pages abuse it, the feature needs to go.  The
damage to people's day-to-day experience outweighs any benefits by orders
of magnitude.

Punishing those who do it right because of the stupidity of the many, can't say I'm too thrilled about that.

This radio song request uses autocomplete="off" for the music request
because a listener would probably not request the same bunch of songs over
and over.

(The use case doesn't really matter to me--the abuse is too widespread--but
this is wrong.  If I request a song today, requesting it again tomorrow or
the next day is perfectly natural, especially if my request was never
played.)

No it's inherently correct for the use case as listeners tend to enter things like:

"Could you play Gun's'Rose?"
"Love you show, more rock please?"
"Where are you guys sending from?"

  Also, banks generally prefer to have autocomplete="off" for credit card
numbers, names, addresses etc. for security reasons. And that is now to be
ignored?

Yes, absolutely.  My bank's preference is irrelevant.  It's my browser, not
my bank's.  This is *exactly* the sort of misuse of this feature which
makes it need to be removed.

Then provide a way for the user (aka me and you) to toggle autocomplete for individual fields then.
That way I could toggle autocomplete off for the request field.

You wouldn't take away somebody's wheelchair without at least providing them a chair would you? (yeah stupid metaphor, I know, it sounded better in my head, really.)

Also the reason the name field also has autocomplete="off" is simple, if
somebody uses a public terminal then not having the name remembered is nice.

This is another perfect example of the confused misuse of this feature.
You don't disable autocompletion because some people are on public
terminals--by that logic, every form everywhere would always disable
autocomplete.  This must be addressed on the terminal itself, in a
consistent way, not by every site individually.  (Public terminals need to
wipe the entire profile when a user leaves, since you also need cache,
browser history, cookies, etc.)

Point taken.

What about https://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Autocompletetype
Couldn't a type="chat" be added then?

That live example  above was just one.
What about web chat clients that use input type text? Do you really want autocomplete forced on always for that? If a user can't toggle autocomplete on/off per field as they want themselves then a type must exist where autocomplete is off by default.

Is that too much to ask for? (as both a user and developer)

--
Roger "Rescator" Hågensen.
Freelancer - http://www.EmSai.net/