On 13.03.2015 13:50, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
A big gap with native is dependable storage for applications. I
started sketching the problem space on this wiki page:

   https://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Storage

Feedback I got is that having some kind of allotted quota is useful
for applications. That way they know how much they can put away.
However, this clashes a bit with offering something that is
competitive with native.

We can't really ask the user to divide up their storage. And yet when
the user asks an application to store e.g. a whole bunch of music
offline we don't really want the user agent to get in the way if the
user already granted persistence.

The real question is why having a quota is useful? Native apps are not controlled when it comes to storing data and nobody complains.

I think proper solution would be not to restrict the available space, but provide GUI for users to:
* see how much space an app uses (if it exceeds some preset amount)
* inspect the files in platform's file explorer

Regards,
--
Janusz Majnert
Senior Software Engineer