On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 3:43 PM, Jer Noble <jer.no...@apple.com> wrote:

>>> There are no such APIs on OS X which would allow an arbitrary pitch shift
>>> to be added to an otherwise normally playing piece of audio.
>>>
>>> IMO, this is a more appropriate request for the Web Audio API (adding a
>>> Audio Node which can add an arbitrary amount of pitch shift).  At which
>>> point, there would be no need for this in HTMLMediaElement, as authors
>>> could make a simple node graph consisting of an MediaElementAudioSourceNode
>>> and a PitchShiftNode.
>>>
>>> -Jer
>>
>> But that can't work on OSX, right?  I wonder how audio software on mac
>> does it, Audacity, Amazing Slow Downer, and Garage Band, Logic, and
>> many others can all do this.
>
> None of them use the built in platform APIs to shift the pitch of encoded
> media.  Each does it manually, within their app, and each probably uses a
> different algorithm to achieve shift in pitch.
>
>> Plus how would web Audio API solve for the use case?
>>
>> To frame an example, go to YT and pull up "Take it Easy" (Eagles). The
>> song is about a 50 cents flat of standard tuning. The pitch can be
>> adjusted by setting playbackRate to 1.023 and setting
>> MozPreservesPitch to false:—
>>
>> var vv = document.querySelector("video");
>> vv.mozPreservesPitch = 0;
>> vv.playbackRate = 1.023
>>
>> — but that speeds it up. I don't want speed coupled with pitch.
>
> The Web Audio equivalent would be:
>
> var video = document.querySelector(‘video’);
> video.preservesPitch = false;
> var context = new AudioContext();
> var sourceNode = context.createMediaElementSource(video);
> var pitchShiftNode = context.createPitchShift();
> pitchShiftNode.shiftAmount = 1.023;
> sourceNode.connect(pitchShiftNode);
> pitchShiftNode.connect(context.destination);

Which implementations does that work in?

That code is more complex than should be necessary. I see where you're
coming from on separating the audio. Could we move the media decorator
behind the scenes, and replace it with a simple getter/setter property
like `videoElement.audio` so that that can happen automagically?
Reminds me of createElement, createRange, document.implementation,
etc. Warts!

But then again, you also just said that there are no APIs on OS X that
allow an arbitrary pitch shift to be added to audio. If that is true,
then your `createPitchShift` code would be possible anyway, is that
right?

Thank you,
--
Garrett