For core states we do some "naive" approximation (which is usually ok):

Although we have a fully relativistic description with j as quantum numbers (and
as you say, s is NOT a good q.n.), we neglect this fact and perform
two independent calculations, one in the spin-up and the other one in
the spin-dn potential. Each of the resulting states will be occupied only
by half and "count" as spin-up" or dn state, respectively.

Thus an input with 9 d-electrons gives you "4.5" spin-up electrons.