Sometimes it can be better to have a cheap computer if you can remote connect to a high performance computing (hpc) [1] cluster.

There can be quite a bit of difference in the computing resources that a thousand dollar desktop computer provides compared at a million dollar hpc [2].

If your in academia, there are usually more options available for getting access to a hpc such as use your own university's or department's one if available, use a research center if there is one nearby, collaborate with a professor at another university that has one, get a research grant to pay to use a commercial one (e.g., Amazon Cloud [3]), and so on.  If in industry, it might be harder to get access to one unless you work at a large corporation that has one.

Desktop computers used to ship with 100 Mbps cards.   However, in new computers nowadays, you will likely find them to have 1 Gbps cards.  A Gigabit switch used to be expensive, but they have probably come down in price now.

If you can find some buddies (aka fellow researchers) at your local site and can connect them up to a Gigabit switch, while not as good as a hpc with InfiniBand [4], you may be able to Beowulf cluster [5] them to be better than a single desktop computer.

You might recall reading, since it has been in the archive and has been re-posted a few times, the post at [6] about how a Gigabit network of computers with i7 processors worked relatively well.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-performance_computing
[2] https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg22676.html
[3] https://aws.amazon.com/education/
[4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InfiniBand